Friday, October 17, 2008

A Brief Note from Your Prodigal Son on the Journey Homeward





August 3, 1981, you came to pick me up at Charlottesville airport in a sky blue station wagon.

The inside of the car looked like a garage on the move; fishing rods, buckets, blankets, a tool box, etc.

I introduced myself and you tried a couple of times to pronounce my name correctly, saying, "So, you are Ka-eh-ru."

"Oh, no, please, Mrs. Day, that means 'frog' in Japanese," I said. You burst out laughing. "Frog! Ha, ha...."

My name is 'Ka-oh-ru,' which means something like fragrance, " said I.

"Flagrance? Could it be a name in your country?" she said, half-puzzled, half-smiling.

"Not flagrance but fragrance, Mrs. Day. Like fragrance of a spring breeze. I was born on March 1, the first day of spring."



You could see the heat haze that afternoon. On a patch of ground a sunny-side up could have been fried in a couple of minutes.

You asked me if I was hungry or thirsty.

"Ah, well, I'd like to have some iced coffee," I said.

"Iced coffee!" you laughed out again, as if you got an overdose of laughing gas.

You drove straight to a McDonald's on 29, and happily ordered at the counter, "The gentleman here wants to have 'iced-coffee.'"

They put some coffee in a large cup and then poured a lot of crushed ice.

It tasted like iced water with a little bit of coffee flavor.

...so it started.



Sometimes I wonder what I would have been if I had not met you.

The thought gives me shudders.

As a typical Japanese, I am very bad at showing deep feelings.

So, I just say I love you.



Kaoru

No comments: