
Dear Newby,
Happy, happy, happy, birthday!! I would love to be there in person. Although I haven't had the privilege of spending much time with you, what time I did spend is unforgettable. You are one of those rare and fascinating beings who attract people like a moth to a flame. What is about you that I find so irresistible? Is it those fabulous stories you can concoct about any subject imaginable? I could never be sure if you were spontaneously fabricating them on the spot, or if they actually occurred. Or some of both....One of my favorites (later verified by my parents as being true--at least I think I remember them verifying it) was the restaurant with the naked man painted on the wall of ladies room. Certain regions were covered with a fig leaf, and if any lady lifted the fig leaf to peek underneath, a band began blaring a song and a spotlight focused on the ladies' room door. Through which the unfortunate occupant had to make an exit at some point. Of course, it was the way you told the story that made it so hysterically funny....
And visiting your house--the couple times I visited and spent the night were such an adventure! Once you made some kind of incredible chili, and we sat around the table telling stories and drinking wine til late at night. I forget which husband was with me at the time. It was August, I think, and your Christmas tree was still up. At one point your dog (a snarly little white thing--there may have been more than one of them, I believe-- that snapped at me whenever I got too close--at ME! the person all dogs love!) wandered by and lifted his leg on the tree, but you never missed a beat. I didn't quite know what to think at the time, but now that I have 3 dogs, 4 cats, 2 parrots, and a couple reptiles wandering around the house, I have become accustomed to all sorts of surprises on a daily basis--our ancient chihuahua/poodle is quite incontinent, and the cat we rescued from an Indian reservation likes to "go" in duffle bags and suitcases...So I have quite topped you in that category. Although my parrots aren't as evil as Zelda. (I think that's her name) I am attaching a picture of our rare conjoined calico cats..
I think the reason we all love to be around you is that you make life more interesting, and definitely more fun! And who doesn't like that?
Wishing you all the best on your 75th, and a big hug to go with it!
Love,
Ann,
No comments:
Post a Comment