Monday, October 13, 2008

Happy Birthday from Carla and Walter

Back in 1995, when I was living in Richmond, I was working for the
White House and Museum of the Confederacy. It wasn't the best fit for
me, but I was interested in museum fundraising.

At the same time, Newby thought it would be great fun to give Marcy a
set of white gloves and a membership in the Daughters of the
Confederacy for her birthday or Christmas. So she asked me to stop by
the Daughters of the Confederacy to pick up an application. And I did.
I went right up to the big mausoleum of a building on the Boulevard
and rang the door bell. Although I'd never seen anyone go in or out of
the building before. It took a while, but a young woman came down this
long hall with red carpet and she had applications right there in a
drawer by the door. And she gave me one.

When I told Newby about my adventure, she said "Why didn't you get an
application for yourself?" And I had to admit, "Newby, my family
didn't come to America until this century." She laughed and said "well
for God's sake, don't tell anyone!" I know she was teasing me but it
still cracks me up to this day. I guess I was a little out of my
element. But Newby had given me a mission and made me fearless,
whether I "belonged" at the White House or the Daughters of the
Confederacy or not.

I think whenever I read this quote by Henry Miller, I think of Newby...

"Develop interest in life as you see it, in people, things, literature,
music the world is so rich, simply throbbing with rich treasures,
beautiful souls and interesting people. Forget yourself." 
Henry Miller. 

Whenever I'm with Newby and Marcy, they let me forget myself,
my insecurities, my doubts. And we just have fun. Sometimes it's a
little wicked, or at the expense of others, but it's always fun.

Newby, we hope you have the happiest of birthdays and feel free to send
us on any silly adventures! Carla and Walter

No comments: