
Newby Day paid me the greatest compliment I have ever received. While sitting at dinner with Marcy and Marie, on the even of our graduation, Newby told me I should never change my hair (which was very short) because it was indicative of my adventurous personality.
Newby, not only have I held on to your compliment, but your words have inspired me to never let go of my sense of adventure. This has been especially important over the previous year, during which I have embarked on the start of my post college journey--in Colorado of all places.
I mention this compliment, not only because I hold on to it dearly, but because in my mind you (and Marcy!) are exemplary figures who live their lives freely through bold and UTTERLY DELIGHTFUL personalities.
A few memories:
The first time I came to your home was on Halloween in 2005. I was immediately enamoured by your eclectic house! Trinkets--antiques--things--EVERYWHERE!! Marcy claimed how it was a mess, but to me it was enchanting (and perfect for a Halloween party!). I came in costume as Jackie O., and you told me how you knew a woman who worked at the place where her clothing was dry cleaned--of course.
Another time which stands out in my mind was our outing to Splendora. Marie and I met you and Macy for gelato one Saturday afternoon. I believe this was the first time I learned about your little need for refrigeration, and how you are actually quite famous (beyond your friends and family--and even beyond Charlottesville!) for not refrigerating foods which normally are. This beautiful afternoon was also the time when you told us to be wary of social trends when they catch on too quickly--like the notion that cigarettes are bad for ones health. There is not much advice which I treasure more than yours.
I cannot write an ode to my memories of Newby Day without mentioning house managing and Old Cabell Hall. House managing was the most central activity of my time at UVa, as well as the most memorable. You and Marcy were so good to me--and made such an impression on me, both away and at school and work.

I know that memories fade over time, but I also know I will always have a clear picture of you in my mind. I will remember laughter, incredible kindness and hospitality, a brand of quirkiness to which I aspire, and above all else, a most enchanting and unique woman.
Happy 75th, Newby!!
Love,
Laura
No comments:
Post a Comment