
Happy Birthday, Newby! I’ve always admired your style, but I was particularly impressed that day in spring 2007 when we went with Marcy, Jeff and Brigitte to the Tufton Farm open house (or open garden). Your ensemble was color coordinated with the landscape. I thought then -- and still do -- that you would be perfect in a Merchant and Ivory movie, and from time to time I enjoy imagining what the screenplay would be. Howard’s End has nothing on North First Street.
You have introduced me to some of my favorite people, for example, the Muratas. That year or two when Kaoru and Emi and the children were in Charlottesville brought us together for so many happy times. I remember that you introduced them to me on the Lawn the day that Gorbachev visited the university, and we went back to the Lawn much later to take pictures of Natsumi and Kaori in their kimonos on Girls’ Day. I don’t remember what we were celebrating when Kaoru took this picture of us, but it reminds me that when I am with you I am always part of a family.I wish you health and happiness on your birthday and beyond. Love from, Mary
No comments:
Post a Comment